The most important aspect of creating the perfect campervan electrical design is getting the size right.
But it’s a bit of a minefield.
Here’s just an example of some of the typical questions asked when designing and building a DIY campervan conversion:
- How many batteries do I need?
- What type of battery do I need?
- How much battery do I need to run my fridge?
- What size inverter do I need?
- What size solar panels do I need?
- How should I wire my solar panels to get the most charging capacity from them?
- What size charge controller do I need?
- What size wires do I need in my electrical installation?
And the list goes on.
There’s no one size fits all answer. We need to consider many factors:
- Is our campervan electrical system critical to our lifestyle?
- Will we live off grid for days or weeks at a time?
- Do we have access to reliable charging supply like shore power?
- Will we use an alternator to charge our batteries and if so, will we drive much?
- Will we live in the camper during the winter?
- How much electricity will we use?
- What kind of budget do we have for the electrical installation?
Again, more questions.
So where do you start in answering all this and sizing your electrical system?
Fortunately we have a collection of electrical calculators for campervan conversions and RV owners to help!
Need more advice and support on a specific part of your campervan electrics? Join our new Facebook Group to connect with a growing community of like-minded van builders.